Friday, March 9, 2012

What is love?

Love is such a strong emotion and some may say that love is bread and water to our souls. Because of the different types of relationships their will different types of love. The different types of love are storage (affection between parents and children), philia (between friends), eros (between men and women) and agape (independent love). Even though in our textbook it doesn’t mention a Christ’s love but when we understand the love Christ has for us, we begin to develop a love that never knew that we for others. This is when develop a love we never could have imagined.

While washing the dishes, I asked my mom if her love for dad has changed in any way from the beginning of their marriage to present. Her response was, “When I married I thought I was in love. There is an attraction and you’re in married bliss but the love I have now for your father is much deeper than I could imagine.” Like my parents, I believe the ultimate test of a loving relationship is time. Love is based on shared experienced, not just attraction. I never did like the phrase “falling love” but to have a healthy relation a couple should “grow into love.”

The best way to illustrate love is through Shakespeare sonnet:

SONNET 116
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment